1:12 Scale Airfix 1930 4.5 litre Bentley Plastic Model Kit
- 1:12 SCALE “AIRFIX” MODEL KIT – 1930 4.5 LITRE BETLEY
- SUPERB DETAIL & QUALITY CAR ENTHUSIAST MODELLING KIT
- RARE COLLECTABLE ITEM TO BUILD OR COLLECT
- INCLUDES DECALS AND ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS
- GLUE AND PAINT REQUIRED FOR ASSEMBLY – SEE OUR GLUE SECTION HERE
- AIRFIX TYPE ASSEMBLY CAR MODEL KIT
- ADD GLUE, TOOLS AND PAINT AT NO EXTRA SHIPPING COST WHEN BUYING THIS KIT
- ALSO SEE OUR ACCESSORIES PAGE TO MODIFY THIS KIT TO YOUR OWN STYLE
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE
- QUICK SHIPPING FOR STOCK ITEMS – 100% NO QUIBBLE RETURNS
Only 1 left in stock
With its front mounted supercharger, the 4.5 litre Bentley became the quintessential British sports car of the 20’s and 30’s. It was shaped from the earlier 4-cylinder 3 Litre, but produced substantially more power with its blown engine. As such, it was a stunning road car and a perfect contender for endurance racing. Due to its dramatic appearances at Le Mans and successes in speed trials at the Brooklands circuit, racing and winning became synonymous with Bentley during this period and few other models capture this image as well as the 4.5 litre Bentley. The number 9 car featured in this kit, UU5872, is the original Birkin Team Car known as ‘Birkin Blower No. 2’. This is the car that made a dramatic appearance at the 1930 Le Mans 24 Hour Race.
In 1929, Bentley replaced the 4.5 litre and opted to race the higher capacity Speed 6. Three ‘Birkin Blowers’ were entered to compete alongside the Bentley Speed 6’s at the 1930 Le Mans. In the event, only one ‘Blower’, (Birkin’s own No. 2 car), started the race. Under Walter Owen Bentley’s tactical team management, Birkin’s role was to draw the Mercedes of Carraciola and Werner into a high speed duel, which he successfully achieved. The Blower lead from the start, swapping the lead with the Mercedes throughout the night, until eventually the German car withdrew with a blown engine. Birkin’s success came at a cost, as he had to retire after 20 hours with a bent valve, leaving the two Speed 6’s to take 1st and 2nd Places.
Wheelbase: 3 metres;
Bentley Motors Limited England.“Bentley”, the “B” in wings device and other associated logos and names are trademarks of Bentley Motors Limited. The body designs of Bentley motor cars are protected by Bentley Motors Limited under design, trademark and intellectual property law.
Flying Hours: 5
Number of Parts: 278
Dimensions (mm): L365 x W145
Age Suitability: 8+